6 Reasons Why Rock Climbing Is the New Route to Fitness
The New Year is upon us. Flying off to Dubai to watch the infamous Burj-ul-Khalifa and its overly extravagant fireworks has kind of lost its charm. Who says New Year has to begin by draining the lot out of your pockets when you can do something far more budget-friendly, interactive and healthful?
This new year, follow the resolution you've been dodging for quite some time and take a new route to fitness, and what could be a better way than going rock climbing?
Here are six reasons why rock climbing is an amazing work out that will get you in shape this year:
- A combination of training and cardio: Before training your body for strength, one needs to warm up and get the muscles pumping with activity. Rock climbing allows both in a single session. The climb itself is a great way to boost blood circulation, working effectively like cardio. And the exertion of force by upper and lower body to execute the climb allows the muscles in your body to train.
- Muscle toning: Fitness is not about how skinny or boney you are, it is about having the right amount of fat in the right places. Rock climbing engages different muscles in your body such as your biceps, triceps, calves, oblique abs, etc. This allows your body not to shed muscles, but rather to construct them and store the fat in the right places.
- Muscular flexibility: One thing that fitness enthusiasts aim to achieve by stretching is muscular flexibility. Rock climbing allows the climbers to utilize their muscles, stretch and adapt to different landscapes. Since all the muscles are engaged, rock climbing is excellent at inducing flexibility.
- Burns unnecessary calories: Calories are the unfriendly fats that are stored in your body and could topple up one day to lead to obesity. Rock climbing, since it is energy-consuming, burns those calories by utilizing the energy storage in your body. According to a study published in Harvard Health Publications Report, an hour of rock climbing allows a 155-pound weighing person to burn around 818 calories. According to this calculation, one can significantly lose up to 3 kilograms (6.6 lbs) of fat a month.
- Fit and Healthy Body: Diseases such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases occur due to obesity and lack of sufficient physical activity. Since rock climbing engages your fine and gross motors and various muscles, it suffices your body's need for physical activity, in turn, preventing such diseases.
- Decreases stress: Physical activity is known for its positive impacts on a person's mental health as well. Rock climbing generates high levels of norepinephrine which is a neurotransmitter that assists in reducing mental and physical tension levels. In addition, rock climbing allows you to experience a surge of adrenaline that keeps you driven. Rock climbing outdoors allows a healthy exposure to the sun ray which allows your body to absorb the natural Vitamin D.
Planning a rock climbing trip with your friends and folks this New Year's weekend? Make sure to check out Aarn's packs for rock climbing with spacious and light weight backpacks!